Virginia Quality Assurance Screening
The VQAS is administered by the Virginia Department for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (VDDHH) in accordance with "Regulations Governing Interpreter Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing". This assessment process is designed to assist you, as a developing professional, to identify your strengths and weaknesses in your knowledge and skills of interpreting in order to assist your growth in interpreting competence.
As you probably know, interpreting is an exciting and challenging field. VDDHH invites you to participate in the VQAS process and hopes the comments and suggestions you receive will be a valuable tool in your professional development. Virginia is in need of qualified interpreters, as witnessed by the ever-increasing demand for services from our consumers.
VQAS and EIPA Registration
- Written Assessment slots for VQAS are available for May 20, 2016, June 16, 2016, July 15, 2016 and August 19, 2016 for both Sign and Cued Speech.
- Written Assessment slots for EIPA are available for May 12, 2016, June 9, 2016, September 8, 2016, October 13, 2016 and November 10, 2016.
- Performance Assessment slots for 2016 are available for Saturdays: July 16, 2016, July 30, 2016, August 13, 2016 and August 27, 2016. Weekday slots are also available, these dates will be sent to registrants upon request. All dates are for Sign, Cued Speech and EIPA assessments.
- No remote site Performance testing is scheduled at this time in 2016.
We have developed the following guidelines for you to review to be sure you are eligible to register for the VQAS Performance Assessment.
- I have a passed the VQAS Written Assessment and my results are still valid. NOTE: You must have passed the VQAS Written Assessment within the past three years OR have a current valid VQAS Screening Level in order to register for the VQAS Performance Assessment.
- I have a current valid VQAS Screening Level which does not expire within the next 120 days. NOTE: If your current VQAS Screening Level will expire within 120 days and there are no test dates available before your expiration date, you may be required to re-establish eligibility by taking and passing the Written Assessment again.
- I have not taken the VQAS Performance Assessment in the past six (6) months. NOTE: You cannot be scheduled for more than 1 Performance Assessment every 6 months.
- I do not have results pending from a Previous VQAS Performance Assessment. NOTE: You cannot be scheduled for a Performance Assessment if you have results from a previous assessment pending.